What Are the Health Benefits?The health benefits of golden milk are linked to turmeric and its active ingredient, curcumin. Though turmeric only contains about 3% curcumin by weight, pairing this golden spice with black pepper can boost its benefits. Black pepper contains a compound called piperine, which prevents the liver from metabolizing the curcumin before it can be absorbed into the blood stream. As little as a pinch of black pepper in combination with turmeric can increase the bioavailability by as much as 2,000%. While turmeric and black pepper are often the focus when it comes to the benefits of golden milk, you can’t forget about the other main ingredient – coconut milk. Coconut milk is rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which reduce inflammation while also supporting weight loss and muscle growth. It contains natural electrolytes and healthy fats, which boost gut health and regulate digestion. The digestion-boosting power of coconut milk combined with the metabolism-blocking benefits of black pepper produce the powerful health-boosting beverage known as golden milk. So, what are the health benefits of golden milk? Here is a quick overview:
- Improves memory and speeds learning
- Reduces free-radical damage and oxidative stress
- Relieves arthritis pain and inflammation
- Improves blood pressure and reduces LDL cholesterol
- Prevents or inhibits colon, breast, and pancreatic cancers
- Slows the progression of neurodegenerative disease
- Supports over 160 individual physiological functions
How to Enjoy Golden Milk YourselfIf you’d like to enjoy the benefits of turmeric tea, you’ll be glad to know that the recipe is very easy – all you need is: coconut milk, turmeric, cinnamon, and black pepper. You can also add other herbs or spices as well as a hint of sweetness to taste. Here is a quick recipe:
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or agave
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch cayenne
- Combine the coconut milk, turmeric, cinnamon, and black pepper in a blender.
- Blend on high speed for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the liquid into a saucepan and set it to medium heat.
- Heat the liquid until steaming - but not boiling - then pour into a mug to serve.
- Sweeten with honey, if desired, or flavor with ginger and a pinch of cayenne.
Enjoy your golden milk moment when you finish off a bowl of our brand new Golden Turmeric Cereal (now available at Costco)!
Would you like to be the first to hear about our new products and more? Sign up for our Nature’s Path Newsletter.