"Often when we feel depleted we reach for a cup of coffee, but research suggests a better way to get energized is to connect with nature." – Richard Ryan
1. Go on a PicnicThink about some of dad's favorite foods. How can you take them outside? Can you cook them on the grill? Have your kids find a blanket in dad's favorite color and choose some themed cups and plates that he would love. Adding some special little touches like this will show the thought that went into planning the celebration.
2. Go for a HikeA fun family hike is a great way to get outside with dad! Make some homemade binoculars from cardboard tubes and grab a journal to take field notes of what you spot while out. Print and add photos to your journal, this will double as a fun keepsake from your special day.
3. Go to a Sporting EventFind a baseball game and treat dad to some stadium snacks.
4. Hit the Driving RangeDads love to teach their kids how to do just about anything. Give them the opportunity to show your little ones how to swing a club and enjoy the fresh air.
5. Go for a Family Bike RideGo for a ride in a local park, or hit up a bike rental in a nearby city and explore some new destinations.
6. Find a 'Pick Your Own' FarmPicking your own fruits or vegetables is fantastic fun for everyone. In the spring and early summer, a lot of local farms will have opportunities to pick your own. Have your kids draw a picture of your family picking fruit when you're done, it will double as an excellent homemade gift!
7. Camp in the BackyardBackyard camping can be just as fun as the real deal, and a perfect way to get outside while encouraging a bit of creativity. Make a campfire, roast s'mores, play some card games, or make a pretend fishing hole.
8. Have a Backyard Field DayHave a relay race, play some wiffle ball or create a water balloon toss – all in your own backyard with the family!
9. Head to a National ParkExplore a nearby national park and take advantage of what is has to offer!'
10. Do Some Yard WorkHelping dad outside with some of his outdoor 'chores' is a great gift for dad while getting some Vitamin D. Pull some weeds, help with the garden, or clean up the backyard.
There are so many ways to get outside and celebrate with dad. Make a homemade card with the kids and spend the day under the sun!